Monday, August 31, 2009

Whale of a time

Last week we had our Lonnie Brown Owls Meet. It was a wild and woolly night but 11 die hard owls rocked on up to do a spot of lino cutting. I was racking my brain with what to carve out ... and then it came to me ...this time it stemmed in our current fave night time read, Taro Gomi's 'Everybody Poos'. It asks the question we have all pondered "What does whale poo look like?". No really - what DOES it look like, man? Edie and I are stumped - but at least it got the creative juices flowing and gave a little inspiration for not only my lino cut - but a library bag to follow on its tail. Sorry - I can't find the card I actually printed - so you will have to look at the lino block instead...Check out other owls work here and here

PS If anyone can enlighten Edie and I on the whale poo issue - we would greatly appreciate it.

10 comments:

willywagtail said...

Google "whale faeces" in the images section after dinner. There are pictures. Hope your stomach is strong. Cherrie

willywagtail said...

www.tonywublog.com/20090811/whale-poo.html is it. cherrie

2paw said...

It's all whales at your house then?? I am sure the whale has a very big 'tail' to tell!!! I loved doing the lino printing!!!

Tania said...

I don't know anything about whale poo but I do know a lot about the koala stuff. Apparently the first meal a newborn koala eats is his mother's poo. Gut strengthening stuff, apparently. Tell that to Edie. She may well be as impressed as my kidlets were.

Kylie said...

Your whales are very sweet. Can't help with the whale poo issue, sorry, but I imagine they'd be rather large!!
Is your fave read the same book mentioned in the film 'Dave in Real Life'?

Kylie said...

Oh... sorry... what I was going to say has TOTALLY left my mind... I just read Tania's reply and I'm... speechless!! (She's a funny girl... can't stop laughing now...) Um yes, great lino cut + good luck with your quest! :) K

Kylie said...

Wow! I just had a peek at the link willywagtail provide! that is truly amazing! If it wasn't for the colour I'd think it was a shredded tyre! Cool post Gemma ;) K

Bek said...

Your lino cut is really cool! Have you done it before? I love it. And cute library bag too. I have a library bag on my to sew list.

Also it sounds like conversations at your house are along similar lines as at ours! (I have a 5 year old boy and poo is hilarious! Apparently.)

Fer said...

A whale! That's so cool, and the bag is perfect.

Makes me wish even more that I was able to make it to Brown Owls!

Anonymous said...

sorry can't help with the whale poo but I do love your lino cut