Thursday, September 8, 2011

If I had a sewing bucket list .. this was on it

Yesterday marked a monumental day in the vast sewing world. A tiny drop in the ocean for some seamstresses, but for moi, monumentale. I sewed a pair of pants. I know, remember to b-r-e-a-t-h-e. I found a vintage pyjama pattern, adapted it from a size 2/3 down to something resembling a size one and ticked 'pants' off the list that contains things that I think may be hard and have thus not tried. They worked. So today I tried another pair. I know, outrageous. But one pair of pants won't cut it in our house. Someone ends up going nude. They worked too. Chasing two wee boys around to get some photos on the other hand proved more difficult. The red checked pair were my 'test pair'. They were from fabric given to me way back here. When they were a success I went with the 'batik'. (Mum had picked up the fabric in Sarawak, Malaysia, when my Dad worked there). I enjoyed getting lost in 'the details'. I made a couple of 'faux' pockets at the front. Don't think I'll repeat them. I figured, at this stage, they didn't really need anywhere to put their keys. That back pocket was going to be a circle ... but after sewing two bits together and turning it in, I was struggling to make the circle look all neat, so I cut it off. Then I ricracked it up.As mentioned, photography was based on speed, rather than accuracy ... but the next shots at least showcase my new skirt ... whipped up in vintage curtain fabric, found way back here, it's my new favourite. The pattern is awesome. My sister even whipped up two. She has hips. They don't show in this skirt. It is tres flattering. You get the picture? It's A line....


...because sometimes you need a good place to hide ...

8 comments:

Tania said...

Holy heck! You tackled the sewing of a CROTCH and lived to tell the tale (twice).

Vanessa said...

They look great! Maybe add an inch to the top next time (I do it every time) just to accommodate the nappy.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

TROUSERS? TROUSERS x 2 !! I'm in awe .

Isis said...

lovin the batik ones and your skirt fabric is rad, i would certainly want to wrap myself in it too, but i don't suppose that would go down so well, so i will leave to the boys :)

Recycled Relix said...

Very clever - I can just see the new range for Loz & Dinny! Love the pics Gemma X

Fer said...

Love ♥

Ames and Tash said...

Loving your work - and you downsized a pattern. Way to go!!

Sally said...

Fabo pants. You'll be churning them out if you get the chance.
*sigh* toddlers and photography... at least in the endeavour you get an aerobic workout!