Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lisette Sewalong

A little while ago I joined Cam's Lisette Sewalong to give myself a kick to my derriere to get a dress sewn for myself.  OK ... so officially it was a Lisette Continental Dress ... but I got the green light to take part with the Lisette Passport Dress.  Mainly because I already had this pattern but also because I can't work a belt on a dress ... I just can't seem to tie the thing right.  I missed the dress belt tying gene. But oh how I love this dress.  It has some cute dart work on the front to give a fitted bodice ... and just enough skirt to give a little hat dip to the fifties.
Last time I sewed this dress I ran it up in size 16 ... and ended up having to run it in at the side seams.  This time I had a go at the 14 ... no adjustments required - snug but wearable.
I got the cotton fabric months ago with the express purpose of making this dress.  I have a penchant for the polka dot and I love the cheeky wee red polka dot just peeking out in the mix. I even found some beaut cotton bias binding for the arm holes in the stash that matched a treat ... further confirmation that you can never have too much op shop sourced bias binding!
 The back gapes a little at the neck if I had to be super picky - but I can live with that sort of carry on.  I love how it comes in at the waist but the full skirt hides all your daggy, hangy-outy, origami-me-up-and-tuck-me-in-somewhere bits ... with big pants I reckon I would even pull off this smoke screen when seated.
 This is bloody ace pattern ... and super easy. I'm definately going to whip a few more of these babies up.  I love a good frock.  Now I can feel all inner glowy and smug when I say 'I made it myself'. Simplicity Pattern 2209 if you care to get amongst it.
Thanks so much Cam for the sewalong!  You are a gem of this crafty bloggy world x

PS ...I'm standing on our super-cool reclaimed pallet deck that my man made this summer ... I whip up dresses ... he rocks the DIY 

16 comments:

Kylie said...

FANtastic... no, better than that... FANtabulous! The pattern is great, the fabric is great, and most importantly, it looks gorgeous on you! Magic pics too :) Kx

Mrs Smith said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It fits perfectly and the fabric suits the dress style so well! Good job, you!

CurlyPops said...

Wow wow wow that is gorgeous!

I picked up that pattern when I went back last week and after seeing yours I'm now super excited to try it out.

Thankyou so much for joining in!

Fran said...

Looks great Gemma, great job! Love the fabric :)

Lien said...

This is the dress I'm making. Due to my crappo sewing skills, I had trouble working out which size to do. I'm going to make the 14 as well but because of my beer belly, I think I'll have to widen the waist.

Recycled Relix said...

Wow Gemma don't you look cute! Love those polka dots and the red.... The dress fits you perfectly and very flattering too. Can't wait to see the next one! xx Cathy

Tania said...

I love the dress, the model rocking the dress, the painty-flake walls, DIY deck and the fact that you missed out on the belt-tying gene too. I haven't had this officially confirmed but whenever I tie a belt I feel like a dork. Unfortunately the same goes for wearing a brooch.

Black Eyed Susie said...

Nice one Mrs. I've got some dollar a metre Spottie bargain lined up for another one....just need time! I'm thinking a pallet cubby would be great if Duncs is ever up for a job?

Yana said...

your dress is lovely! might have to add this pattern to my stash :)

Fer said...

You are one super glam chick! (plus the fact that can look that good after having twins!) The pattern is perfect for you.

CurlyPops said...

Gemma - I forgot to ask if you're on Flickr?

bec said...

Goprgeous dress! Ha, we must both like our spots- I used the reverse colourway of this fabric (white backgraound with red and navy dots) for the Tova shirt I made! Snap! Not sure I have that pattern, but that won't stop me- off to find it!

Makkie said...

Well made! Nice!

nicole said...

oh my goodness me! what a fabulous looking creation!!
this is definitely next on my list of things-to-sew! as long as it was easy-ish... on a scale of 1-tying a belt? ;)
i love those little cheeky red polka dots!
xo

Isis said...

gorgeous as always. and looking forward to seeing peonie!